Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Special moment for Marc Anthony and a Tampa resident

Who would have known that history would repeat itself, well sort of, for a Tampa resident, my mom. Twenty seven years ago Brunilda Irizarry had a special bonding with Marc Anthony.

Since the first time we met Marc Anthony in December 1995, we had a special connection with him. My family and I assisted Imagen Latina Productions with an end of year dance in which Marc was the performer. I was his chauffer and mom accompanied me, my Dad may he RIP chauffeured the band.  Marc’s itinerary after picking him up at Tampa International Airport included an autograph session then dinner just before his performance. Marc was more than an artist, he was like ‘family.’

Our last family photo in 1996 at Marlboro Music Festival Raices in Orlando, FL (another beautiful story behind it too)

The evening of the dance, we wished Marc Anthony luck just before his performance. It was his second performance in Tampa since his Spanish music crossover in the 1990s. His first performance was in 1994 for a local Latin magazine event in which I voluntarily contributed to its entertainment column. The farewell the next day was bittersweet not only with Marc but also with his band and Mikey Jimenez. We wished him well and like a mother, mom also gave him a ‘motherly’ pep talk along with her blessings.

Marc Anthony's longest band member Erben Perez and Mikey Jimenez

Mom and Dad blessed him a few times after up until Marc became well known, making it impossible to have that close interaction. We have followed his growth in his profession since our first encounter and have voluntarily contributed and supported him in our own way. We are extremely proud of his success and of all his accomplishments.

Volunteers for Marc's foundation - Maestro Cares (2013)

Little did we know what was going to transpire on Marc's return to Tampa 20 years later to perform at Amalie Arena that was formerly called Ice Palace Arena and where Marc had performed in 2002. We were already downtown to meet up with friends from MAC La Familia/Marc Anthony Fan Club (fan clubs from back in the days) that came to Tampa to attend the concert. It was a spur of the moment decision for me to try to purchase tickets about three hours before the concert. Luckily we scored an affordable and irresistible price for floor tickets, three rows from the stage. It was the only way Marc could see the small sign I made for mom, well try to see it at least. 

Mom and I had attended Marc’s concert at the same venue 20 years ago, although we’ve seen him perform in Orlando, St. Petersburgh, and Miami, it was great to have him perform in our hometown again. Mom had told me I should make a welcome back sign. She had no idea I had made a sign that read, “¿Marc te puedo dar mi bendición como la primera vez en 1995?” (Marc can I give you my blessing like the first time in 1995?). We didn’t know if Marc would see the 8x10 sign from our third row seats.

For my family and I to have been part of his beginnings here in Tampa in 1994 and 1995 gives me so much nostalgia, happiness, and more so to watch mom sing, dance, and feel so proud of Marc and the band... I am forever grateful and blessed to share so many beautiful Marc memories with mom. There were many times I envisioned this but had no idea why, how, when and where. It is finally sinking in and each time I remember I get choked up. May we have many more Marc memories together.

Thanks to Marc, his band, his crew, Joey Vega, and Luis Figueroa for an unforgettable evening in Tampa. And of course to those that were around us that were trying to get Marc's attention to notice mom with the sign and to Marc's crew that spotted her and moved us to the front of the stage... Mom had a slight sore shoulder for a few days but it was all worth it.

“Que me imaginaba yo que me iba encontrar con Marc otra vez después de tantos años... Si me acordó, no sé. Son tantos años ya. Que Dios me lo siga bendiciendo, a todos. Gracias hija.” (I didn't imagine I was going to meet Marc again after so many years... If he remembered me, I don't know. It's been so many years now. God keep blessing him, all of them. Thanks daughter).

Read Marc Anthony's Tampa concert review here and additional reviews here.

Missed Marc Anthony this time around, well his Viviendo tour continues, check it out here for information of where he'll be performing this year and in 2023.

Photo and video credits Doris Irizarry
Content is not to be reproduced without consent

(We normally don't write in first person but it was easier and more meaningful to write in first person this time).

No comments:

Post a Comment